If your car has a regular auto start of the engine, you are in luck. And if not, we will tell you how to get this useful feature.
In winter, drivers sometimes spend a lot of time waiting for the engine to warm up and warm air starts to come out of the deflectors, and in summer they suffer from heat and hot seats in the sun until the air conditioner cools the interior. Both of these problems can be solved at once by a remote engine start system.
Do you even need autorun?
In winter, it is undesirable to start moving immediately after starting the engine in severe frost – oil that has thickened from low temperatures cannot provide lubrication to moving parts of the motor. In addition, if you get into a preheated car, you can save some warm-up time.
In the summer, on the contrary, it is pleasant to sit in a cool cabin – remember that under direct sunlight in the heat, the cabin easily heats up to 40 degrees in just an hour and a half. This is uncomfortable and even unhealthy. And for residents of the northern regions of the country, autorun is completely irreplaceable.
How remote start works
From a technical point of view, it’s not that difficult at all. An electronic unit is connected to the ignition lock, which responds to external commands – for example, a radio signal from a key fob, smartphone or other electronic device. When it receives a command to start the engine, it performs a programmed sequence of actions:
- Includes onboard power supply
- Checks battery level
- Activates the fuel pump
- Includes starter
If the first attempt was unsuccessful, it may be followed by repeated ones, but only if the battery charge is stable – otherwise the system will turn off and the engine can only be started in the traditional way, that is, manually. In this case, it will be necessary to install a standard immobilizer bypass unit – this will require a spare ignition key with a chip.
What are autorun systems
Remote start can be implemented in the car in different ways.
- For some car brands, most often American, Korean and Chinese, this is a standard function. At the same time, there is a separate button on the ignition key, by pressing which you can start the engine. In this case, the car, of course, must be in the range of the radio signal from the key.
- This may be an option on modern cars. For example, Renault has one as part of the Connect service. You can start the engine through the application.
- The most common way is to install an alarm with an auto start function. On the key fob of the security system, there is also a separate button for this. There are alarms with a GSM module that allows you to start the engine not only in the range of the key fob, but literally from anywhere in the world – provided that the car is in the range of cellular signal reception. Some systems also have the ability to be controlled via a mobile app.The cost of installing the simplest model of such an alarm is about 15,000 rubles.
- If you just need to keep your car warm when you arrive, you can install a preheater. This is a small internal combustion engine connected to the fuel system and the car’s cooling system. A big plus is that such heaters heat up the coolant, and, therefore, allow not only to bring heat into the cabin, but also to facilitate the start of the main engine. The most popular devices of this kind are produced by Webasto and Eberspacher,the cost with installation on a passenger car is about 90,000 rubles.
Autorun systems are also divided according to the method of control.
- Simple models have only manual control – that is, to start the engine, you have to press a button on the key fob
- More complex models are able to start the engine according to a schedule or even according to street temperature readings.
What to remember
Of course, the undeniable advantage of remote start is comfort and time saving. But there are also disadvantages, the main of which is safety. In fact, if the engine is already running, the hijacker will only have to get into the cabin and leave. Because of this, auto-theft insurance usually costs more. Among other things – accelerated battery discharge and fuel consumption.
But the main thing – according to the law, in a residential area and in the local area it is allowed to warm up the engine at idle for no longer than 10 minutes. Violation of this requirement is subject to a fine of 1,500 rubles, and in Moscow and St. Petersburg – 3,000 rubles. Do not forget that a longer warm-up of the engine is a damage to the environment and the health of people nearby.